Forward Tipping Dumper Training
Forward tipping dumpers are purpose-built, highly manoeuvrable machines designed for transporting various materials on and around building/construction sites safely and efficiently.
Dumpers work well on a variety of ground conditions ranging from paved roads to rough and muddy sites.
Forward tipping dumpers are where the skip or body is in front of the driver tips forward and sometimes swivels to the side for side tipping.
Forward tipping dumper capacities range from about 0.5tonnes up to 9 tonne but the most commonly used sizes are between 3 and 6 tonnes. This classification is made by the manufacturer and is the maximum carrying capacity of the dumper.
Most forward tipping dumpers are wheeled units but there are some crawler tracked dumpers available which are especially suited to working in poor site conditions. There are also very small forward tipping dumpers which are generally referred to as ‘micro dumpers’. Many of these are capable of being driven through a standard sized door opening and are very useful in building refurbishment work.
Forward tipping dumper training:
We offer forward tipping dumper training courses for novice operators and for semi-experienced operators that would benefit from forward tipping dumper training before they take the operator test. For novice forward tipping dumper operators; CPCS and CITB recommend a minimum 3-day course
Semi-experienced dumper operator durations may vary dependent on the amount of operator experience. Operator testing is for operators that need no further training. Generally we recommend CPCS forward tipping dumper training as this is the most widely accepted scheme in the construction industry. This generally results in better work opportunities for operators.
NPORS is accepted on some construction sites; however, at present, we would recommend CPCS forward tipping dumper training and testing. Forward tipping dumper training is for any size machine. Forward tipping dumper training prepares the operator for both the theory and practical test. Operators that achieve the required standards will be awarded the forward tipping dumper category.
Mon-Fri | 08.30am - 16.30pm
Forward tipping dumper training should be taken by any person(s) wishing to operate forward tipping dumpers on-site or for private applications. Without training; forward tipping dumpers have the potential to be extremely dangerous machines.
A forward tipping dumper training course covers:
- Health and Safety At Work Act 1974
- (PUWER) Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations
- (LOLER) Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations
- Different types of forward tipping dumpers
- Basic construction
- The purpose and use of all controls
- How to comply with manufacturer instructions in accordance with the operator’s handbook
- Checking the forward tipping dumper is serviceable and stable for safe operation prior to use
- Pre-start and operational checks
- Checking that safety devices are functioning as per operational specification.
- Driving and manoeuvring machine on level, uneven ground and slopes unladen
- Manoeuvring the machine through a confined area
- How to position the forward tipping dumper for loading
- Driving the forward tipping dumper and manoeuvre machine on level, uneven ground and slopes laden
- How to position the forward tipping dumper for tipping
- Tipping the material from the forward tipping dumper into an excavation or pit
- Recognising and responding to given instructions
- Keeping within safe working parameters of the forward tipping dumper and other machines in the area
- Placing the forward tipping dumper in an out-of-service condition, to isolate and secure the machine
- Explaining the limitations of use when using the forward tipping dumper
The forward tipping dumper training course provides the candidate with the skills and knowledge they require to successfully achieve the standards the CPCS, NPORS or EUSR forward tipping dumper test.
On completion of a forward tipping dumper training course; the operative will be able to:
- Demonstrate a good understanding of the regulation that apply to the safe use of forward tipping dumper
- Carry out a full pre-start/shift check on the forward tipping dumper and record their findings
- Carry out a full operational check on the forward tipping dumper and record their findings
- Operate the forward tipping dumper in line with the manufacturer’s instructions/manual
- Correctly and safely manoeuvre the machine in a confined area
- Safely ascend and descend slopes
- Transport loads at a speed consistent with the load and general site conditions
- Tip loads safely into an excavation or pit
- Keep within safe working parameters of the forward tipping dumper
- Place the forward tipping dumper in an out-of-service condition, to isolate and secure
- Understand the limitations of use when operating the forward tipping dumper
Report any problems or defects
At the end of the forward tipping dumper training course; the candidate should be able to achieve the required standards of the CPCS, NPORS or EUSR theory and practical test.
If the candidate achieves the required standards of the forward tipping dumper test, then a CPCS, NPORS, EUSR card will be awarded.
The Industrial Training Services forward tipping dumper training course covers the following legislation:
Health and Safety At Work Act 1974
(PUWER) Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations
(LOLER) Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations
Road Traffic Act
Operators, supervisors and managers will have a good understanding of the regulations that apply to the safe operation and use of the type of forward tipping dumper for which they are trained. Additionally, they will understand inspections and the need to keep a record of the checks carried out by the operator and how to operate the forward dumper as per the manufacturer’s recommendations.